1/23/11

Supergrid Advocacy Organizations (GENI, FOSB, DESERTEC)

Ana Aguado, CEO of Friends of the Supergrid (FOSG), meet Peter Meisen, Founder & CEO of Global Energy Network Institute (GENI, http://www.geni.org/). GENI has been actively promoting the supergrid for 20+ years, and is still at it. In the last years of his life, R. Buckminster Fuller came to believe that the supergrid is the most important innovation for improving human well-being on and with the Earth, and as far as I know, he deserves to be called the father of the supergrid, conceptually. Peter Meisen was motivated by Buckminster Fuller, as was I myself. The first maps I ever saw of a supergrid were produced while Buckminster Fuller was still alive, and came out of his "World Game" project. I'd like to find those maps (from before the internet) and put them up on my website.

Ana Aguado Cornago is the CEO since October 2010 of Friends of the Supergrid, and was hired in an executive search process. She had great success previously in building a consensus-driven industrial organization in Europe. Behind her is the founder of the FOSG, Eddie O'Connor. I do not know where Eddie picked up the supergrid concept; he may have independently realized the obvious or his thought might trace back to R.B.Fuller; I am in any case very grateful to him. Eddie O'Connor and his two main vehicles for expression of his supergrid dreams, FOSG and his for profit company, Mainstream Renewable Power (http://www.mainstreamrp.com/) are at the other end of the financial spectrum from myself, my company Electric Pipeline Corporation (EPC), Peter Meisen and GENI. Unlike Peter and I, Eddie can get a meeting with the EU Energy Commissioner or the Prime Minister of the UK. I believe all three of us are motivated by something beyond money, a sincere belief that the supergrid is critical to enabling subsequent generations to enjoy tho sort of life we enjoy.

During the question and answer session at the launch of FOSG Eddie O'Connor glossed over the intermittency problem, in the same way that Atlantic Wind Power LLC is doing on our side of the Atlantic. Yes, I agree that multiple wind farms spread the risk of being becalmed, therefore increasing aggregate reliability of wind power from the whole area, but one still needs balancing resources way beyond the hydro capacity of Norway and Scotland to implement the grand scheme proposed by FOSG (which I support). Though rare, the energy output even from a large, regionally aggregated area containing multiple wind farms will occasionally be as low as 10% of the average output. Is it acceptable to shut down Europe for a day?

No comments:

Post a Comment