10/18/11

The Future of Power Transmission in North America

I see the future of transmission being regional HVDC loops, followed by links between the loops to make Eastern NA and Western NA regional supergrids, then finally linking the coasts to create a North American continental-scale supergrid. I visualize elpipes in the 10-30 GW range forming the bulk of the high capacity conductors, but also see a role for overhead lines and cables for linking smaller AC generators & substations to the DC supergrid, and I believe superconductors will be used in linking the Eastern and Western North American supergrids (see my article on elpipes in Electricity Today March 2010).


I have so far found that US-based venture capital investors will not take an interest in the elpipe because it is "too big, too long term." I have therefore put my startup Electric Pipeline Corporation onto Wefunderhttps://wefunder.com/elpipes 
in hopes that I can get started on this important (and expensive) development soon. It would help me move this forward if you will "follow" me on Wefunder; I expect the US Securities and Exchange Commission will be issuing rules by May that will allow me to raise funds though Wefunder (this is not legal yet, but by following EPC, you will help move me to the front of the queue when the final rules are announced). 


No comments:

Post a Comment